(This week begins a two-part series on music in Aspen, Colorado. This week’s blog – part one – spotlights the amazing venues in town to see live music. Check back next week for part two, which will focus on some great festivals in the area throughout the year.)
Music abounds in Aspen, Colorado, all year long – offering an eclectic blend of genres that range from classical composers to contemporary up-and-comers to industry icons. The town has become a hotbed of music because of two reasons: the wide variety of amazing venues in and around the area, and the simple allure of Aspen that brings throngs of tourists continually throughout the year. This week, our blog team takes a closer look at the venues that make Aspen special – everything you need to know.
When looking for live music, be sure to check these two venues first! To learn more about a venue, click a link. (Links will open in a new window.)
- The Wheeler Opera House 320 E. Hyman Ave. (970) 920-5770 box office – The Wheeler Opera House is an Aspen staple: built in 1889, expanded in the 1980s, and received a balcony remodel and projection room upgrade in 2013. The recent renovations will downsize the projection room and increase the amount of space in the balcony for seating.
- Belly Up Aspen 450 S. Galena St. (970) 544-9800 box office – The Belly Up Aspen was recently named the #16 Best Club in America by Rolling Stone magazine. Opened in 2005, the 450-seat venue offers major headliners ranging from The Flaming Lips to B.B. King. Get your tickets early before they sell out!
Lodging suggestion: The Independence Square hotel at 404 S. Galena St. is right next door to the Belly Up Aspen and is only a short walk through the pedestrian mall to the Wheeler Opera House. Frias Properties of Aspen offers 2-bedroom, 1-bedroom and lodge rooms at the Independence Square. View Independence Square lodging accommodations.
Jazz Aspen Snowmass offers summer concerts that draw fans from around the world, with major headliners ranging from Mumford & Sons to Tony Bennett. Be sure to check out JAS downstairs at The Little Nell, festivals and special events, and JAS educational programs.
There are also facilities through the Aspen Music Festival & School that offer performances during the year (see below). For more information on performances and events at the Aspen Music Festival & School, call the box office at (970) 925-9042.
- Benedict Music Tent 980 N. 3rd St. – Opened in 2000, Benedict Music Tent seats 2,050 and offers all the acoustics of a concert hall while maintaining the freshness of an open-air music tent.
- Joan and Irving Harris Concert Hall 960 N. 3rd St. – Opened in 1993, Harris Concert Hall is an intimate 500-seat concert hall that has a warm, woody interior.
- Matthew and Carolyn Bucksbaum Campus – This new facility sits on 38 acres of natural woodlands one mile up Castle Creek Road from the roundabout on Highway 82. The campus features a central plaza surrounded by rehearsal halls, practice rooms, teaching studios and administrative offices.
During the course of the year, the AMFS holds a variety of music-related events at other venues in Aspen. Learn more and view a full list of Aspen Music Festival venues.