(Editor's note: This is the first in a two-part series on bike and car sharing services in Aspen. For information on the town's WE-cycle bike sharing program, see next week's blog.) Operated by the City of Aspen, the Car To Go car sharing service is a great option for guests and owners who do not have a vehicle in town but need one from time to time. The Car To Go service is a convenient option at an affordable rate, and can save money on car rentals. Those who select Car To Go can enjoy all the benefits of car ownership. Everything - including gas, insurance, vehicle maintenance and even roadside assistance are included in the company's low rate. (There is a $10 per month membership fee required.) This week, our blog team takes a closer look at Car To Go, Aspen's car share program.
The Car To Go service provides plenty of flexibility:
- Car To Go is perfect for those who only need a car some of the time, a different type of vehicle or occasionally need a second car.
- It's also great for those who occasionally use Aspen's free bus transit, bike, or walk to get around town. If you've ever been to Aspen, you know that it's very walkable.
- Regular car rental rates can often be expensive, especially during peak season and holidays.
- Go Green: Users can drastically decrease their carbon footprint by using Car To Go. Most vehicle owners spend an average of $7,000 to $10,000 per year to pay for, insure, maintain and fuel their ride. By comparison, Car To Go members pay around $750 per year for access to nine vehicles. And, the company's entire fleet is comprised of only hybrid vehicles.
- Car To Go allows guests and owners the flexibility to choose between small and mid-size sedans, SUVs and a pickup truck.
The Car To Go service is perfect for owners and guests who occasionally want to get out of town to do a little exploring. Members enjoy the freedom to travel to Independence Pass and Maroon Bells at their leisure and in privacy. Other popular local spots for day trips can be Ashcroft, Ruedi Reservoir, Woody Creek, Mount Sopris and the entire down-valley - including Basalt, El Jebel, Carbondale and Glenwood Springs. Imagine having the freedom to explore, dine and shop at all of these locations without the hassles of a bus schedule and crowds!
Guests and owners of Frias Properties of Aspen who fly in to the Aspen/Pitkin County Airport just outside of town enjoy complimentary transfers to and from the airport. Smiddy Limousine provides complimentary airport transfers for Frias guests. Reservations must be booked a minimum of 24 hours prior to travel. Aspen airport transportation can be scheduled by calling the Frias front desk staff at (970) 920-2000. Guests can also book direct with Smiddy Limousine by calling (970) 925-7505. Guests and owners who stay with Frias Properties can contact the Frias Concierge Desk for more information about Car To Go. Contact the Concierge Desk at (970) 429-2449. Be sure to check back next week as our blog team takes a closer look at WE-cycle, Aspen's popular bike sharing program