Summer 2014 in Aspen, Colorado, is looking to be one of the best yet! Even if you don't feel like getting up on the mountain, there's still an abundance of off-mountain fun for everyone - everything from kayaking and whitewater rafting to ballooning and paragliding. This week, our blog team takes a closer peek at 2014 in our Off-Mountain Recreation Preview.
KAYAKING & WHITEWATER RAFTING If you're feeling like getting wet and wild in the mountains in the summer, there's no place better than Aspen. With access to great rivers - like the Arkansas River, Colorado River and the Roaring Fork River - these local professionals can assist you in planning the water adventure of a lifetime! Here's a few recommendations:
- Blazing Adventures - More than 40 years of experience navigating the local waters. Rafting and kayaking available. Group rates! 970-923-4544.
- Aspen Whitewater Rafting - For professional, personalized, fun and safe adventures on the local rivers. For more information, call 970-920-3511.
FISHING AND FLY-FISHING Are you angling to reel in a few? The local rivers and mountains offer an unparalleled fishing bounty! Beginners and experienced anglers alike will enjoy the majesty and excitement of fishing in the Rocky Mountains. Here's a few local third-party vendors that Frias recommends:
- Aspen Fly Fishing - Offers professional guided tours as well as fishing trips for kids.
- Aspen Trout Guides - Half-day, full-day, overnight, and multi-day guided fishing trips.
- Aspen Outfitting Company - Experience some of the finest fly fishing in North America!
- Frying Pan Anglers - Specializes in Roaring Fork float trips for trout. Also, Colorado River float trips in spring and later in the season.
Learn more about fishing in Aspen. For more information, call the Frias concierge desk at 970-925-9075.
GOLF The Aspen Golf Club, located just two miles from downtown Aspen, offers undulating greens with water coming into play on 14 of 18 holes at the course. Visit the award-winning PGA golf shop or practice your craft on the chipping or putting greens. Private and group instruction available.
Here are a few other local favorite golf courses:
- Snowmass Club - Resort course only 7 miles from Aspen.
- Maroon Creek Club - Private course located just outside of Aspen.
- Roaring Fork Club - Private course only 15 minutes from downtown Aspen.
- Aspen Municipal Golf Course - Public course only 1 mile from Aspen.
For more info or to book a tee time, call the Frias concierge desk at 970-925-9075. (Note: Some courses below are private and/or resorts and may require membership fees.) Learn more about Aspen golf.
TENNIS The Aspen Tennis Club offers 6 clay tennis courts located at 39551 Highway 82, and two hard courts at our Iselin Park facility at 0861 Maroon Creek Road at the Aspen Recreation Center (ARC). For more information, call the club at 970-925-2575. Learn more about tennis in Aspen.
BALLOONING AND PARAGLIDING Rise above! Visit Aspen on any sunny day during the summer, and you're sure to see paragliders hovering over Aspen Mountain. Aspen Paragliding offers the thrill of flight near the summit of Aspen Mountain.
- Hot-air ballooning is both exhilarating and romantic! The Above It All Balloon Company is available year-round for single or group outings. Call 970-963-6148.
- Unicorn Balloon also offers amazing aerial adventures. Call 970-925-5752.