(Editors note: This is the second in a two-part series on bike and car sharing services in Aspen. For information on the town's Car To Go vehicle sharing program, see last week's blog.) Aspen'ss bike share program, called WE-cycle, is a sensible option for long-term rental guests and owners who reside part-time in town and need bicycle transportation. Aspen is a very bike-friendly town and having a bicycle can quickly get you from one end of town to the other. There are currently 16 WE-cycle stations at key locations around town, so there are plenty of pickup and drop-off points. The easy touchscreen kiosks allow users to check out a bike from one station and ride it across town, docking it at another kiosk. This week, our blog team takes a closer look at WE-cycle in Aspen and how this increasingly popular option works.
Let's take a closer look at some WE-cycle facts:
- Kiosks are available May-October.
- Bikes are rented in 30-minute intervals. You can keep the bike longer, but will be charged overtime fees.
- Bike riders must be 18+ (or 16+ with permission from a parent or guardian.)
- 24-hour and 3-day passes are available for purchase at any kiosk.(Purchasing at the kiosk requires a credit card. You swipe the same card each time for an unlocking code.)
- You can also pre-purchase 3-day, 30-day or season passes online. (Pre-order keycards are delivered via U.S. mail.)
- Pass holders with a key or card need to swipe the key or card directly at the bike kiosk to unlock the bicycle. (After the initial purchase, riders select aEUoeRide AgainaEU on the touchscreen.)
Bike sharing is a perfect option for riders who need to make a quick trip, need to go one-way only, or just don't need a bike for a long period of time. Bike sharing also eliminates the need to store a bike during the winter months or when not in use. Frias Properties offers discount vouchers for bike rentals to all guests upon arrival. Call the Frias Concierge Desk at 970-429-2449 for more information.
Bike rentals are available at a number of local shops, if bike sharing isn't for you. Bike rentals can be great for day trips or longer outings. There are tons of great trails for mountain biking all around Aspen when you come here for an Aspen vacation, and a bike rental company is prefect for those type of excursions. Bike rentals are also great for families with riders under age 16, or for riders who seek a specific type of mountain bike or road bike. The Frias Concierge Desk can assist with bike rental recommendations from local vendors like Ajax Bike & Sport, Aspen Sports, Four Mountain Sports, Aspen Bikes and Ute City Cycles. For a complete list of options, contact the Concierge Desk at (970) 429-2449.