When it's time to plan your next vacation, pick Aspen, Colorado. It's a no-brainer no matter what time of year you're traveling. Instead of asking why visit Aspen, all you need to decide is when to visit!
Aspen offers a full flight of both summer and winter activities, plus an abundance of scenic views no matter the season. So, we've created a list of key points to consider when choosing which season to join us in Aspen!
Aspen's Summers Are Colorful & Active
As the majority of vacationers head for summer vacations on crowded beaches, those who seek variety in scenery and activities will opt for Aspen as their summer destination. Aspen is a hot spot for all kinds of recreation, from indulgent relaxation to heart-pounding adventure.
Get Your Summer Splash On in Aspen
With mildly warm, sunny days, Aspen is a great place to spend time in and on the water.
- Experience the most exciting ride of your life when whitewater rafting on the Roaring Fork River.
- Rent a standup paddleboard (SUP) from Blazing Adventures or Shaboomee and head to Northstar Nature Preserve to paddle and float while surrounded by mountain peaks.
- Spend time wading in the Roaring Fork River with a fly rod and flies -- you can hire a guide to help you find the best fishing spots.
- For something a little less "outdoorsy," relax in the lazy river in the Aspen Recreation Center's pool. (Guests of Frias Properties receive free passes!)
Experience Aspen Culture and Cuisine
There's no better chance to get your fill of great music and tasty cuisine than when you're on vacation. And the best thing about summertime in Aspen is just how many music venues and gourmet eateries offer outdoor seating. You'll get culture and nature at once!
- Aspen's rich outdoor music scene in the summer months includes the Jazz Aspen Snowmass free summer concert series (al fresco shows hosted each Thursday evening) and free outdoor music by the Aspen Music Festival and School. For indoor and late-night music, you'll find plenty of popular acts at the intimate Belly Up.
- As far as outdoor dining goes, tantalize your taste buds alive while taking in views by exploring the restaurants on the downtown mall -- try The Wild Fig, White House Tavern, or Meat & Cheese.
Become One with Nature
From leg-burning hiking trails designed for the advanced explorer to peaceful paths through the wildflowers at the John Denver Sanctuary, Aspen provides plenty of opportunities to become one with nature.
- If you're a fan of mountain biking, head to Snowmass Mountain Bike Park to discover or renew your love of downhill biking. Or try one of the favorite local trails -the Ditch Trail- which also makes for a nice hike up to the yin-yang sculpture and a panoramic view.
- Enjoy your nature with a dose of adrenaline at The Lost Forest in Snowmass. Rock climbing, a ropes course, and the popular Alpine Coaster are all there for you to try out.
- Run through the fountains on Aspen's downtown mall -- kids aren't the only ones who can enjoy this fun!
- Hike the short but intense trail to the lookout on Smuggler Mountain. You'll see all of Aspen -- and beyond -- on this two-hour hike.
- For a more leisurely tour of town, check out a bike from any of the city's WE-cycle stations and ride the paved Rio Grande Trail or through the West End on streets reserved for foot and bike traffic.
- For spectacular views with less sweat and effort, get a day pass to ride the Silver Queen Gondola, and you'll see it all from the top of Aspen Mountain.
Nothing Compares to Winter in Aspen
While Aspen is world-famous as a destination for skiing and snowboarding, winter in Aspen has a unique charm. The off-mountain draws have nearly as much appeal as the snow-covered ski slopes!
Spend the Holidays in Aspen's Winter Wonderland
There's no view quite like the one you'll have of Aspen's glimmering cityscape during the holidays. The town literally lights up during the holiday season as Aspen restaurants and businesses decorate to celebrate.
- Stroll Aspen's downtown mall and enjoy the holiday lights.
- Head up to Snowmass and enjoy s'mores and tubing at Elk Camp for Ullr Nights.
- Spend a relaxing holiday without the hassle of cooking when you book a luxurious prix fixe seasonal meal at one of Aspen's top restaurants.
- Don't miss Aspen's famous New Year's Eve fireworks show that lights up the night sky -- and the slopes!
- If you stay past New Year's, you'll get the chance to experience Winterskol -- an annual four-day January tradition, complete with an ice sculpting competition!
Attend the Winter X-Games
Bringing together lovers of snow sports and great music alike, Aspen's Winter X Games are held at the end of January.
- Watch well-known, brave and talented skiers, snowboarders and other athletes compete to win. Get VIP tickets for special booth seating and better views above the crowds.
- Enjoy incredible concerts at the X Games venue with world-famous recording artists.
- Head to Aspen's famous Belly Up after the ski and snowboard show is over for more intimate (and indoor) shows with top-rated musical artists.
We're Here All Year
Whether you choose to hit the slopes at the height of the winter ski season or frolic amongst Aspen's summer wildflowers, your Aspen vacation is guaranteed to be memorable. Discover the many rentals available at Frias Properties throughout the year. All our condos, homes, and hotel rooms are located within striking distance of Aspen's best attractions. Start planning your next Aspen vacation by browsing our available properties.